Monday, September 13, 2010

Baker Spotlight: Melissa of Honeybee Bakeshop

Melissa loves to bake for friends and family because it slows people down to savor the moments of life that are worth celebrating and savoring.

Tell us about yourself

I'm a 30-something financial analyst with a baking hobby that spun out of control. Then the Honeybee Bakeshop was born to give the DC area the sugar buzz it needs. Now I split my time between spreadsheets and sheet cakes, but my passion is helping people celebrate their happiest days! I also volunteer with the National Capital Area Cake Show which challenges me to grow as a baker and cake decorator.

What is your favorite type of cupcake?

I love a good baked-from-scratch vanilla buttermilk cake. This should be topped with a swirl of fruity buttercream like strawberry or peach, and a drizzle of good chocolate.

If you had to describe yourself as a cupcake, how would you?

Let’s see… vanilla-honey-lavender cake with whipped vanilla frosting and a chocolate rose – many different flavors uniting to make one big sugar buzz.

What is your favorite local cupcakery?

Aside from my own, I love Lavender Moon in Alexandria because of their flavor variety and local ingredients. I also drool over the Italian Stallion at Cupcakes Actually in Fairfax.

What cupcakes do you plan to bring to CupcakeCampDC?

Wine and cheese: Dark chocolate and red wine cupcake with goat cheese frosting and pine nuts.

"Baker Spotlight" is an online featurette of bakers or bakeries that are participating in CupcakeCampDC.

No comments:

Post a Comment