Thursday, October 3, 2013

Baker Spotlight: Joel (CupcakeCampDC's 2012 Winner!)

Joel has been baking cupcakes for 3 years now and has won a few competitions. Known for creating complex flavor profiles, Joel prides himself in turning the weirdest ingredients into a sweet delicacy. Joel loves food, and is a better cook than baker. Through years of practicing, Joel has perfected his baking skills and is a firm believer in "Scratch". The kitchen is his lab, and the consumer are his test subjects. Joel thinks outside of the box and is always thinking of new creations. Joel is known for his Chicken & Waffle Cupcakes. His goal is to take any ingredient and incorporate it in a cupcake.

Tell us about yourself

I am an IT Consultant for a medium sized consulting firm and a part-time graduate student at University of Maryland. I have a serious love for food which dates back to me as a child watching Julia Child on television. I got into baking only because I wanted to surprise his girlfriend with a Valentine's Day cake years ago. The cake was such a hit with her and her family that l looked into perfecting my baking
skills. I am also a cake artist, and design different cakes for various occasions.

When I'm not at work, school, or baking, I like to venture out and eat at restaurants as well as play video games. I enjoy reading Financial newspapers, and loves to talk business. I'm a thinker and I'm always figuring out how to create new flavor combinations. My cupcakes tend to be complex, building different layers of flavor. I'm a fierce competitor, and always looking for a challenge. I consider myself to be a food authority, and love to fatten up my friends with good food and tasty desserts.

Fun Fact: I go by the nickname "Buttercream" which was given to him by my friends Robin and Mimi because I purchased a substantial amount of extracts to flavor my buttercreams for all of my cupcakes.

What is your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite cupcake has to have different levels of flavor and complexity. I like a flavored cake with a complimentary filling, and a buttercream that brings it all together

If you had to describe yourself as a cupcake, how would you?

I would be a complex cupcake with big and bold flavors that attacks the taste buds at first sight.

What is your other favorite local cupcakery?

My favorite would have to be Baked & Wired. The cupcakes are BIG and BOLD with a ton of flavor.

What cupcakes do you plan to bring to CupcakeCampDC?

I'm planning on bringing a cupcake that will turn heads and defy the odds. This cupcake will be infused with alcohol and it will taste like the drink itself.  This cupcake will be for adults only, but I'll have some non-alcoholic versions of the same cupcake. This cupcake is the Capt & Coke Cupcake made with REAL 100% Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. You will taste the liquor...TRUST ME!


"Baker Spotlight" is an online featurette of bakers or bakeries that are participating in CupcakeCampDC.

No comments:

Post a Comment